Carnival of Flowers plantings go ahead, despite COVID-19 doubt

Carnival of Flowers plantings go ahead, despite COVID-19 doubt
Carnival of Flowers plantings go ahead, despite COVID-19 doubt

The Toowoomba Regional Council is pushing ahead with plantings for the Carnival of Flowers, despite uncertainty over whether the event will go ahead this year.

Workers are planting 177,000 flowers and 12,000 bulbs in parks around the city.

The council is due to announce its plans for the event on July 1, with the decision to take into account whether coronavirus restrictions for large events will remain in place come September.

The 10-day event attracted 294,000 people in 2019 and injected more than $20 million into Toowoomba’s economy.

Read our full coverage of the coronavirus pandemic

Snapdragons, pansies to be planted

Councillor Tim McMahon said the makeup of the plantings would be like those in previous years.

“We’ve got snapdragons, ranunculus, the pansies, those lovely little stocks from the poppies and the tulips,” he said.

“While our civic parks will look amazing come September, it’s not just the civic parks where the flowers will be.

“Of course, we’ve got Queens Park, the Botanic Gardens, Laurel Bank and Picnic Point but also places like Spring Bluff, the Toowoomba CBD and the Drayton Cemetery. A lot of those smaller parks have flowers ready to be planted in them as well.”

Thousands of flowers are being planted, despite uncertainty over whether the carnival will go ahead this year.(ABC Southern Queensland: Lucy Robinson)

Economic recovery committee looks set to push for a gas-fired future

  • Immunity passports might create a perverse incentive for individuals to seek out infection
  • Councillor McMahon said whatever the outcome people would still be able to enjoy the flowers.

    “We’ve just come out of a terrible time with coronavirus and we’re still not out of the woods but regardless the Toowoomba region will look amazing in September with our flowers and our gardens,” he said.

    “Overall there are more flowers this year than last year but the makeup is more flowers and fewer bulbs,” he said.

    “Come September, you have my word, it will be lovely and colourful with flowers everywhere.”

    Councillor McMahon said a decision on whether the popular home garden competition would go ahead would be made by the event’s organisers, the Chronicle.

    “Watch this space on whether they do a garden competition,” he said.

    Loading…

    Source: abc.net.au

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *